Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see...Strawberry Fields Forever

Sometimes I pretend I'm a hippie. These urges usually strike me after listening to the Hair soundtrack, or after watching Across the Universe. I decide that I want to go through life with no responsibilities and always be barefoot and string beads in all my doorways. I start listening to a lot of The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel and think 'yeah...I would rather be a forest than a street'
Speaking of forests and streets...I bought this mug in Central Park (parts of which are very nature-y, especially with the contrast of the rest of Manhattan just feet away). It has a strawberry on it because there is a section of the park that was dubbed 'Strawberry Fields' in honor of John Lennon, who was shot across the street from this area. Since this is a very 'hippie-y' part of the park, this mug reminds me of my occasional hippie tendencies.

Although last night, I did something very un-hippie-like. I killed a cricket.
Well, I thought I did. It was on my wall, and I smashed it with a shoe. Then I went to get a tissue to pick up the cricket corpse, and when I returned...it was gone. Now there is an injured cricket bent on revenge roaming around my apartment. It will probably kill me in my sleep tonight.
Maybe that's why I slept so terribly last night. My guilty conscience was keeping me awake because of the cricket-life I almost ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment