Monday, January 30, 2012

Defying Maladies

I was feeling so invincible! I got a flu shot back in November, and figured I was good to go!
No germy little hand or snotty little nose was going to bring me down. Not even the pink eye scare before Christmas was going to get in the way of my seemingly perfect health. In fact, I was on my way to setting a personal record. I hadn't had a sniffle, a scratchy throat or any sign of of being under the weather. This flu shot thing was starting to feel too good to be true...and well...the trouble with things that seem too good to be true is that they usually are!
Yesterday I woke up with the onset of a sore throat. I chugged airborne. I drank green tea with honey and lemon. I did EVERYTHING I could think of. But it wasn't enough. I woke up this morning and felt awful! I called in to work and make an appointment to see my doctor. I spent the morning with more tea, and then got to my appointment only to see one of the most frightening sights...a stupid, giant q-tip! Throat cultures are the worst!
And that swab was all in vein...no strep here! Just your regular, run-of-the-mill common cold. At least if it had been strep, I could have gotten some antibiotics to make me feel better instead of playing this waiting game and trying to feel better as soon as possible so I don't miss too much work!

No comments:

Post a Comment