Sunday, July 29, 2012

Do You Hear The People Sing?

They say once you've done something three times, it becomes a tradition (Okay, I'm not sure if 'they' actually say that, but I think it makes sense). So this is the third happening of what is now a grand tradition of taking the train to visit my aunt and seeing a musical in San Francisco. Yesterday, my aunt took my cousin and I to see the 25th anniversary tour of Les Miserables. All I can say is: WOW! 

The production was incredible, and there was not a mediocre talent on stage. Betsy Morgan's Fantine absolutely blew me away and her range was unbelievable. The characters being portrayed seemed so real, I forgot there were actual actors on stage. Especially with Peter Lockyer (absolutely amazing) I could tell where he ended and Jean Valjean began. He was just astounding, he poured so much emotion into the part, and yet he never seemed drained. By time he sang 'Bring Him Home' I couldn't hold my tears in anymore and by the finale they were streaming down my face. 
Note to self: if when I see it again (considering the movie is coming to theaters in December) I must remember tissues and water-proof mascara!
The three lovely ladies (but not prostitutes) 
My traditional souvenir coffee mug!

















I am so in love with the music from this show, and the fact that it is entirely sung-through is always so impressive, the actors must have so much stamina (especially when you consider that Saturdays are two-show days, since we were at the matinee, these guys still had one more show to do).
It will be interesting to see how they do the movie, whether they treat it like the light-opera it is, or if they trade the more 'recitative-ish' songs for dialogue, like in Rent

No comments:

Post a Comment