Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Kindness of Strangers (or...what Christmas Spirit looks like)

Tonight was our middle school pajama 'faux lock-in' for Christmas. I think a three hour lock-in is just right for 6-8 graders. We watched a movie, played some games, ate some pizza, and did our gift exchange game. It was a good night.
It didn't start out good though. First off it's raining here...and as much as I love rain, it tends to complicate things a bit. Then I went to pick up the pizzas I had ordered and they kinda mixed up my order so even though I ordered ahead of time, I ended up waiting an extra 10 minutes, which kinda irked me a bit. Once I picked up my pies, I was then charged with the task of carrying 6 pizzas and 2 two-liter bottles of Coke out to my car. I got out the door okay, I was able just to back up right through it (cause my daddy taught me good) then I had to stop and re-adjust the boxes and bottles when some guy asked "can I give you a hand with that?" I said, "actually, yes if you don't mind". The he took the two sodas and followed me out to my car, put them in my back seat and wished me a 'Merry Christmas'. Wow!
This guy, this perfect stranger who probably just wanted to get his pizza and go home, totally made my day. I'll probably never see him again, and even if I do, I doubt I'd even recognize him...but this guy decided that instead of ignoring the girl juggling six pizzas and two bottles of soda, he was going to walk an extra 20 yards in the rain to help a stranger. I am so thankful for this, and I think that this (not to sound cheesy) is what Christmas is all about. Helping people.
I realize that I am incredibly blessed. I have food in my fridge (including some leftover pizza from tonight), a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and a warm bed to sleep in every night. I am also incredibly independent (to the point of being stubborn). I don't ask for help often, and I like to think that I don't need a lot of help. I'm not 'less fortunate', in fact, I am very fortunate. But everybody needs a little helping hand every once in a while...and I am grateful that there are people out there willing to lend one!

No comments:

Post a Comment