Saturday, March 17, 2012

When life hands you lemons...

The other day my dad brought home a bag of lemons. Evidently, someone he works with at the credit union was giving them away, and he felt the need to snatch up at least half a dozen.
After telling me this he added, "I wonder how many lemons you would need for a lemon meringue pie?" which we all know is dad-speak for: "You should make me a lemon meringue pie!"
So today I made my very first lemon meringue pie! The crust wasn't too hard (since I'm pretty much a professional pie crust maker). The lemon part was a little trickier, and as for the meringue? Well, this pie was a bit of a collaboration between me and my mom (and my mom's stand mixer!)
I'll admit, it's not the prettiest pie I've ever made (chalk it up to following the recipe for an 8 inch pie, and putting it in a 9 inch pie pan!)
I can say, though, that of all the pies I've made...this is one of them!
I tried a slice and I wasn't sure if I severely messed up, or if I just don't like lemon meringue pie, but according to my target audience (my dad, whose favorite pie is lemon meringue) it was a bit tart, but not too bad. I'll call that a win!

PS...my hands will probably smell like lemon zest for about a week

No comments:

Post a Comment