Thursday, June 28, 2012

I Wanna Rock!

I just saw Rock of Ages, and I don't care what anyone says; I loved it!! 
I can't help myself, I'm a fan of campy musicals! Is it a great movie? No. It's not even a good movie, but something about it just made me happy! I had to be really careful in the movie theater, it was hard for me to not sing along with these awesome songs (they just bring back so many memories of being 1 year old in 1987...)

The cast was full of some pretty big names, which isn't always a good thing for a movie musical. Tom Cruise was completely ridiculous, of course, but because he's just as nonsensical and self-absorbed in real life, he was perfect as a filthy, bewildered rock star. Alec Baldwin just seemed to be playing the guy Jack Donaghy must be in his nightmares, and there was no way I could take him seriously as the owner of a rock & roll club. Russell Brand just makes me laugh, not because he's necessarily that funny, but just because he is just such a cartoon caricature of a human being. Juliane Hough did a good enough job (well, the autotuners didn't have to work too hard at least). I'm pretty sure Catherine Zeta-Jones was being played by a robot, she just seemed so stiff...c'mon CZJ, you're a Tony winner now, loosen up a bit. Just to prove that big names aren't everything, I would have to say the best part was Diego Boneta's Drew. 
I have such a soft spot for guys who are easy on the eyes as well as the ears/guys with guitars (!!!) He's just so yummy!

1 comment: